Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK are open apply now. Commonwealth Medical Fellowships are for mid-career medical staff from low and middle-income countries, to enhance their clinical skills. Awards are tenable at approved UK university hospital. Fellowships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth Medical Fellowships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development. These fellowships are offered under the following CSC theme: “Strengthening health systems and capacity”.
Note: To be considered for the Medical Fellowship, applicants must have submitted their application using the Commonwealth Scholarship Commissions online application form, which closed on 21 May 2018 at 23.59 (BST). The application deadline of the 27th of May applies to application submission to HEC for only those who have already completed and submitted an online application with the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission.
Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK PURPOSE AND TENURE
The primary aims of Commonwealth Medical Fellowships are to provide mid-career medics with the opportunity to enhance their clinical skills, and to have catalytic effects on their workplaces. The fellowship will develop knowledge and/or skills that will improve health provision or outcomes for disadvantaged groups in low and middle-income countries. A range of approaches could be adopted, such as training staff to fill critical shortage areas; establishing better systems, processes, or management; health promotion and improving understanding of non-take up; or developing new treatments
Each Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK Provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependents, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Research support grant, payable to your host university hospital
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,627 per month, or £2,019 per month for those at university hospitals in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2017-2018 levels)
- Reimbursement of the fee for a single English language test and the fee for General Medical Council (GMC) registration
- Warm clothing allowance
- Study travel grant towards the costs of approved travel within the UK
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £457 per month for the first child, and £112 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK.
To apply for Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK, the candidate must:
- Be a citizen of Pakistan/AJK.
- Be permanently resident in Pakistan/AJK and not a dual national.
- Be employed by a hospital affiliated to a university
- Be available to start your fellowship in the UK in January 2019
- Have qualified as a doctor between 1 October 2008 and 30 September 2011, or before 1 October 2003
- Have qualified at a medical school recognized by the World Directory of Medical Schools
- Have met the English language requirements of the General Medical Council (GMC) by 31 August 2018
- You will be expected to participate in clinical practice during your fellowship, and to register with the General Medical Council (GMC). If your proposed programme does not require this registration, your application will be considered ineligible.
- Be able to provide details of two (02) references.
- Must have a valid registration with Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC).
- Applicants must obtain and submit to HEC a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from his/her employer and have the commitment to return back to Pakistan at the end of fellowship and contribute in his/her areas of study
- Must fill all the fields of HEC application form (Online) and no column or field should be left unfilled. All applicants must fulfill the basic eligibility requirements of donor/participating university in the UK
- Fluent English speaking capability IELTS scores as required by UK institutions.
- Applicants must have career development potential in this sector and intent to promote the friendly cooperation between Pakistan and UK.
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make a change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates.
Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK TERMS & CONDITIONS
For full terms and conditions – including the value of the scholarship and general conditions of award – see the Commonwealth Medical Fellowships 2018 terms and conditions
Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK Selection process
The CSC invites around three times more nominations than fellowships available – therefore, nominated candidates are not guaranteed to be awarded a fellowship.
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria: (document attached)
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the proposal
- The potential impact of the work on the development of the candidate’s home country
- For further details, see the Commonwealth Medical Fellowships 2018 selection criteria
- HEC may conduct interviews for finalizing nominations
HOW TO APPLY for Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in the UK
- Submit the online HEC application form available at HEC website http:// eportal.hec.gov.pk and get its printed copy. Application forms must be duly completed and endorsed by the employer/relevant heads of departments/divisions/institutions, whichever applicable.
- Fill online Commonwealth application form (for respective scholarship program) through Electronic Application System (EAS), from http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/medical-fellowships/ by selecting HEC as your nominating agency. Get three (03) printouts of your online application form (duly filled and signed by the Head/Vice Chancellor). The applications without EAS Application form or HEC online application form will not be entertained.
- Submit the payment receipt of Rs.1000/- to HEC through HBL online facility. This facility is available in all branches of Habib Bank Ltd. A separate bank Account No. 17427900133401 at HBL, H-9 Branch Islamabad is being maintained for online transfer of fee to HEC.
- Submit EAS application form and attach attested copies of all the documents filled in EAS online application form (03 sets in spiral binding each separately) and one separate set of HEC online application form with HEC fee deposit slip & NOC from employer along with all academic documents. Attach the payment receipt of Rs.1000 (Application Processing Fee) with HEC Application form only.
- HEC will conduct interviews of potential candidates through the experts at HEC and after the interview, HEC nominated candidates will be required to register with the General Medical Council (GMC) and further nominated to Commonwealth UK for further processing.
- Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted, for further processing. The recommendation of nominating agency i.e. HEC will be final and binding. Further, the final selection will be made by the Commonwealth. HEC nomination does not guarantee for final selection
- HEC must receive (04) Application Sets, one each in separate spiral binding (03 sets of Commonwealth EAS forms & 01 set of HEC online form). It should be sent through postal mail only.
- Each Application set should be stapled separately in Spiral binding. All application sets should not be bound/at the ached together. By-hand or incomplete applications or those received after the deadline shall NOT be entertained in any case. Applicants have to ensure that their application package, complete in all respects, must reach HEC on or before the deadline 27 May 2018.
Commonwealth Medical Fellowship in UK DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
The complete application dossiers will include the following:
- Certified copies of applicant’s CNIC & Domicile
- Attested copies of academic qualification, from matric onwards (last degree & Transcripts).
- Attested copies of valid registration with PMDC Islamabad
- All incomplete applications or those received after deadline/by hand applications will not be entertained.
- All applications must be submitted by the deadline 21st May 2018 at the latest. Please ensure that
- Academic references from at least two individuals are attached with online application by the close of the deadline.
- Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will not be entertained.
Kindly note that HEC is the authorized agent who would send nominations from Pakistan. In this regard the decision of HEC will be final and binding.
Where to Send applications/CONTACT DETAILS
Director HRD/ In-charge Learning Opportunities Abroad (LOA)
HRD Division, Higher Education Commission
Sector H-8, Islamabad
E-mail: [email protected]